In one of it’s first public appearances, Stras ran Band of Blades of us. So good! This is one of the Stretch Goals games that came from the Blades in the Dark Kickstarter. Band of Blades is dark fantasy game in the vein of The Black Company. You play soldiers trying to retreat safely back to a stronghold, while perceptually fighting off the advancing armies of the Cinder King. HOT!
Note: I fell way behind on my AP reports so these are written many moons later based off my notes. The accuracy will likely vary greatly! Also, this is just transcribed from my notes. Things may be out of order!
Here’s my memory of the game:
- I played a rookie who made dumb rookie mistakes but somehow survived till the end.
- John played a sniper who was not at all about taking risks we didn’t have to. When Landgave survived though, she proved herself to him and later they infiltrated the city of undead together!
- Allison played a leader that GOT SHIT DONE and suffered no fools.
- John L.L. had some magical powers that won the day and was the only one to care if Landgrave (my rookie) lived or died.
- The undead were endless in their hunger and malice, but thankfully not always aware of our presence.
- Mystical forces were at work that I understanded not at all.
- I ended up playing Private Pyre (when Landgrave was lost) and he ended up with the “Gomer Pyre” voice affectation, which I had way too much fun with.
- At some point, we were on top of a building, got a partial success and instead of gunning down down the monster below us, it scrambled all the way to the top grabbed Landgrave, and crashed back down to the ground with him before it died. Then everyone pulled her out!
- We each had rolls (Marshall, Warden, Commander) that got to make macro level decisions, one of those things was to have spilled the blood of the chosen over our blades, granting the power of black-shot (which destroyed undead).
- We had a choice of missions and went for an assault – assassinate a speaker. He channeled the Blighter!
Pics from the Game
We had so much fun playing this game! On Sunday when I saw Stras running another game of it I stood up on a table and called out to them “For the Legion!”.